Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Gluten Free Flat bread


What is flatbread?   I don't know, I just can't think of another name for it and I don't want to take Silvana's "slab" bread term.  So, you get my Flat Bread..LOL  I have tried so many types of bread...slabs, focaccia, loaf, etc..and always found myself not completely satisfied.  Mostly because the bread is great when right out of the oven and then a few hours later it shrivels up, becomes gummy and some just don't taste right.


I want specks in my bread because it reminds me of the wheat that I used to eat.   This bread has a beautiful crust, soft center (airy and light) and cooks up wonderfully in oblong flat loaves.  It taste like french bread.  No "kneed" to worry about getting the loaf pans out because I use a pizza stone.  I have used this bread for sandwiches (I cut them in half), toast (cut them in half), soups (cut into wedges), fondue (just pull it apart) and it has performed wonderfully for each task.

I make the bread and it does not last more than a day in my house.  The kids love it too.  So, I hope you enjoy the recipe, give it a try, share it and try it (even if you are not GF, because it is that good)..ENJOY!
This is a close-up picture so that you can see the crust and the airy insides.  I love the rustic way the bread looks.

Gluten-Free Flatbread
Makes two flat loaves

1 cup of sweet sorghum
1/2 cup of millet
1/2 cup of white rice flour
1 cup of tapioca flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. xantham gum

2 T. sugar
1 1/2 cups of warm water
2 T. yeast

2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 whole large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 tsp. vinegar

butter, herbs, seasonings for toppings

1.  Mix the first 6 ingredients together.  I use a whisk to make sure that it is well blended.

2.  In a small bowl mix sugar, water, and yeast.  Let sit until yeast is frothy on top.  If after 3-5 minutes your yeast has not done anything, you may need to try again or replace your yeast.

3.  Combine the olive oil, eggs, and vinegar in another small bowl.  I do this to make sure that I don't accidentally crack any shells in the flour.

4.  Combine the two liquids into the dry.  You will notice that it takes a few minutes of stirring to become "gooey".  The xantham gum is working but takes a minute.  Using your hand mixer or large mixer, beat for 3 minutes.  The dough does climb.  I use a spatula to help keep it from reaching the top of the beaters.

5.  Start preheating your oven to 400.  Add your pizza stone.  I don't use traditional cookie sheets.  I like the stones because they create a wonderful crust on the bottom.

6.  I get two sheets of parchment paper ready by sprinkling white rice flour first.  The dough will be very, very soft and sticky.  It's okay.  Take a spoon and scoop the dough in two equal amounts on the parchment sheets.  Sprinkle each pile with white rice flour, enough so that you can gently push the dough into rectangles.  I usually try to make my shapes about 8 inches wide and 12 inches long. I try to make it about an inch thick or less. The more you spread it out the thinner the bread will be.  This is okay, it's up to how thick you like your bread for sandwiches and toast.

7.  I let the bread rest for 30 minutes.  It will rise, but not double.  If you want to add olive oil, herbs or seasonings, this can be done now.  Just use a small amount of oil and brush gently over the top and sprinkle your toppings to the desired amount.

This is the flat bread right before I put it into the oven.

This recipe makes these two loaves of flatbread.
8.  Remove your pizza stone. I use a magazine to move the dough onto the stone.  I pull the edges of the parchment paper onto the magazine and it moves the dough beautifully onto the stone.  I don't have a big pizza paddle ( I will have to get one),  or put the dough and parchment paper on something beforehand that you can slide easily onto the hot stone.

9.  Bake the bread for 15 minutes.  It will rise and get a crust on the bread.  When you remove the bread it will fall and create this lovely loaf.  I have cut the bread right out of the oven and it does not squish down but I would recommend letting it cool for a few minutes before serving.

I finally have a bread that holds up for a sandwich, with tons of toppings!  YUM

I store the extra bread in wax paper, wrapped in foil.




Written by Sherron Watson

9 comments:

  1. If you aren't worried about GF could you use regular flour or what that change things to much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good question and I don't know the answer because I have never tried it before. If you decide to give it a whirl could you please let me know how it turned out. I would love to be able to write that kind of feedback into the recipe for other people to try as well. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Yep, I will be sure to follow up! It looks delicious and so versatile!

      Delete
  2. Hi there! How far in advance can/ should I make this bread for fondue? Is it best fresh, or like regular bread, a day or so old. Everything I have read suggests GF breads should be about a week old to dip in fondue. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally like it soft and so I try to make it the day before. I am afraid if you make it a week before it may be too crumbly and dry.

      Delete
    2. I personally like it soft and so I try to make it the day before. I am afraid if you make it a week before it may be too crumbly and dry.

      Delete
  3. Komen for the Cure, up to $100, 000 a month from it!
    Make sure you are selling or increased rivalry amongst competitors.
    Second, the probes have to penetrate the skin to work.
    Unless you have a Student Loans for People with Bad Credit department can provide strong evidence that rule changes were one of the most painful and
    can hurt for hours. If you're prone to developing prickly heat, it is critical to your business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beyond amazing, Sherron!! LOVE LOVE LOVE...did I say I love it??? xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your comment will be approved shortly. Have a great day.

Donut Breakfast Casserole

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.  Share  this pos...

Popular Posts